If it won’t matter in 5 years don’t spend more than 5 minutes worrying about it.
This quote occasionally shows its face in my news feed, I’m sure you have also seen it?
What do you think about it?
It deeply resonates with me, especially as a Virgo I am known to overthink and worry about something that hasn’t even happened yet. I know right, totally unnecessary (I like to call myself a work in progress).
This quote kicks me back into gear quick smart.
Will it matter in 5 years if:
- I don’t go to that event
- I don’t make my hair look pretty
- Indy and her mate dig a hole in the backyard
- I don’t clean the house for a week
- I don’t check social media for a day
- I don’t buy those yoga pants
See, puts things into perspective doesn’t it? BUT what about rewording the question to:
If it will matter in 5 years, spend more than 5 minutes worrying about it.
Mmmmmm, how does that feel just saying it?
I am all for living in the moment, but I also believe there is a certain part of us that needs to balance out our life in order to look after ourselves and live to our fullest potential. Remember it doesn’t happen over night. But it will happen little by little, step by step, over a period of time.
Will it matter in 5 years if:
- I don’t do any exercise at all
- I keep eating crap every day
- I don’t do what makes me happy
- I keep hustling, pushing, going, doing and never being
- I’m still in a job/ relationship/ living environment that doesn’t serve me
The answer to all of these things is yes, a big capitalised YES it will matter.
This will manifest over time as something. It may be illness, disease, heartache, depression, anxiety, sadness, physical signs and symptoms, feelings of inadequacy, unworthiness or failure.
Sorry to drop that little bomb on ya. But it is true and it’s better to be bought to your attention now, right? Better now than never.
It is common to see and hear in the health industry that people had to either get really sick, have a health scare, see their life flash before their eyes or have a cancer diagnosis before they are willing to make a change. That is the sad truth.
Because it is easier to keep doing what we have always done, change is hard, scary and unknown.
I’m here to tell you it is never too late to make changes in your life, you don’t need to wait for the health scare. In fact, why wait? It may be too late by then.
So I urge you to start checking in with yourself and your feelings….daily preferably. It doesn’t take long.
It is time to honour your precious self and your precious life – just like you deserve. Start to ask yourself the question.
Will it matter in 5 years?
I don’t want you to get to caught up in it, start small, start simply. You know I’m a believer in not complicating things. This post wasn’t to scare you, just to help put things into perspective. We have got one chance at life and the choice is ours.
Notice what you are wasting time and energy on and let it go, sigh it out. Then notice what needs to be slightly changed or tweaked in your life. What is a small step you can do today to make that change?
Here are some examples:
- I am sick of my partner doing ‘this’, it pisses me off. Have an adult conversation with your partner about it, talk through it and come up with a solution. Communication is key.
- I hate my work environment, it is so draining and toxic. Do a meditation, to get really clear and see what comes up. Is it time to hand in your notice? Maybe for some reason financially or otherwise it is not viable right now, so you have to make the most of your current situation. Think... positive mindset, affirmations (I am grateful to have financial stability right now), a lunch break outdoors grounding in the park, essential oils at the desk, etc. That way you are honouring yourself in the situation.
If you need help with making some tweaks to your current situation or don’t know where to start, flick me an email I’d be more than happy to help you get started.